Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Greatest Desire: Freedom

Freedom.

It's such a loaded word. In the USA we like to think we're free...free to be whoever we want, free to voice our opinions, free to worship as we choose, etc. People have and will continue to fight and die for our freedoms, but how free are we really? Not even just as citizens of the United States of America, but as human beings. 

My desire and love of freedom comes from two distinct places in my life: 1. my fear of being trapped and 2. my experience of being in bondage to an addiction. I've explained the first in a previous post and I'm sure there will be more to come on the latter.

The verse at the top of my page, or in the inserted graphic, is my life verse. John 3:8.
To me, it is a perfect image of freedom.


God has given all of his followers the gift of the Holy Spirit, who seals our salvation and serves as our guide (among other things) in life. As we grow deeper in our knowledge, understanding, and relationship with God, we become more like Him and more like the person He has created us to be. This gives us the freedom to blow wherever we please, just like the wind- without an obvious place of origin or destination.

Some of my favorite things about my freedom in Christ are that...
  • I'm free to explore the desires and passions God has given me with reckless abandon. 
  • I'm free to fail and not be "successful."
  • I'm free to follow the Spirit's guidance even if I don't know the big picture yet.
  • I'm free to make choices that do not make sense to you or to anybody else. 
What are some of yours?
Are you experiencing true freedom?
What is keeping you from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment