Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

The First Two Weeks


So, I actually moved to Madison 4 weeks ago, but this is a little update I wrote after my first two weeks on the job. After this post, things will be more current J

I have now successfully completed 2 full work weeks …and I am tired. Who knew working between 45 to 50 hours a week would be so exhausting! Needless to say, here are snapshots of my first 2 weeks:

Quotes of the week: 
Famous person- “Be yourself, everyone else is taken”- Oscar Wilde

One of my favorite playwrights of all time! Needless to say, I’m trying…but I’ve discovered that I don’t really fit in with Madison. That being said I’m now contemplating dreading my hair, getting a facial piercing, or tattooing half my body. Let voting commence!

Will-never-be-famous person- “I’m going to pretend I’m pregnant if he wants to break up with me.”

So I always knew this was a thing…but I was really hoping it wasn’t a real thing.  

Life Lessons: 
Apparently one has to write one’s own name on their apartment mailbox…who knew?

Obviously not me. After not receiving mail for a few days, I decided to write my name on my mailbox…and junk mail has been flowing in ever since.

Know what interests you and find people who are interested in the same things.

So depending on who you are and what you like to do, both sides of this statement may be a struggle. For me, I know my interests, but the people who are interested in the same thing seem rather hard to come by in Madison. Time to buckle down and search harder. Latin dance clubs, here I come!


On the Job: 
“It’s going to feel a lot like school for the first few months, but it’s not school. It’s your job.” – my mentor

I haven’t reconciled this one quite yet in my mind…it feels a whole heck of a lot like school. I sit in class for 4 hours a day, do projects, take exams- am I missing something?

Fail early. It will motivate you not to fail again.

Here in training, after we finish a set of classes we take exams and because there is such a high standard, employees are required to get at least an 85% on all tests to pass. I failed the first one. Was it a big deal to anyone but me? No. However, I will not be failing anymore.



 My office! 

View from my office

As you all can see, my office is quite bare. We are allowed to decorate however we would like so pass along your best office decorating tips! 

No comments:

Post a Comment